About VARICOSE VEINS Treatment
Varicose veins are veins under the skin that have become swollen, twisted and bulging. They are usually seen in the legs and feet. They are quite common, and most of the times do not cause any problems. However, they can be disfiguring and be a cause for cosmetic concern in females. The veins of the lower limb have one way valves that keep the blood moving towards the heart and prevent its backflow. If the valves are weak or become damaged, blood can back up and pool in the veins. Over time, the continuous pooling cause the veins to become stretched, swollen and tortuous. Raised pressure in these veins also causes development of spider veins and discolored areas which look like bruises.
1. Varicose Veins is a relatively common condition and may run in families.
2. It is more common in females with women twice as likely as men to develop them. This is because of hormonal factors like puberty, pregnancy, menopause and use of birth control pills.
3. It is also seen in people who have to stand for long hours
4. eg. Bus conductors, teachers
5. Other factors include ageing, obesity, lack of exercise and leg injury.
While much has been written on the philosophy and promise of interdisciplinary in academic programs and professional practice